Saturday, May 4, 2013

Juanes

Juanes has been a singer that I've been listening to since I was 16. Juanes to me is the best singer with the best lyrics in the world. I have yet to find one song that I do not like from him.

Juanes is a Colombian musician who first started his career as a member in a heavy metal band called Ekhymosis, and later became a solo artist. The band Ekhymosis experienced success in the rock and metal scene, and published five albums. Juanes has won twenty Latin Grammy Awards. wiki

Juanes was born in Carolina del Principe, Antioquia Colombia. He grew up in Medellin during the height of drug kingpin Pablo Escobar's reign, at which time the city had the highest homicide rate in the world. Juanes was greatly affected by all the violence happening in Medellin, his cousin was executed by kidnappers and his close friend was murdered by a gunmen. This shaped his social consciousness. His father also died of cancer when he was a child, and all of this factors made him fall into music. wiki Link 2 Link 3 (The links are also used on the next few Paragraphs)

In 1998 after 10 years with his band Ekhymosis, Juanes Disbanded the group so that he could pursue a solo career. In 2000 Juanes released his solo debut "Fijate Bien" (Take a Good Look). It spend the first ten weeks in number one in Colombia, but was unsuccessful in other countries. This album earned him three Latin Grammys for Best New Artist, Best Rock Solo Vocal Album and Best Rock Song. Link wiki

His second solo album was "Un Dia Normal (A normal day) was released in 2002 and this one was finally highly successful in Latin America. He was certified gold and platinum and multi platinum in countries, including Colombia, Mexico, and Spain. The album spent 92 weeks in the top ten of Billboards top Latin Albums chart, which set a new record. source His hit single "A Dios le pido" (to god I pray) topped the single charts of twelve countries and spent 47 consecutive weeks on the Billboard Hot latin Tracks. A dios le pido source

"A Dios Le Pido" was the first song I heard from Juanes. I was about 16 at the time, and the first I heard was the rhythm. The drums, the melody of the song captivated me. I soon memorized the lyrics without looking much into the words or their meaning. And then I heard it I truly heard the song and the lyrics. Before giving you my explanation of what his lyrics mean to me, I will write down the lyrics in both Spanish and English:

" A Dios Le pido"

Que mis ojos se despierten
con la luz de tu mirada.
Yo a Dios le pido.
Que mi madre no se muera
y que mi padre me recuerde.
A Dios le pido

Que te quedes a mi lado
y que más nunca te me vayas mi vida.
A Dios le pido.
Que mi alma no descanse,
cuando de amarte se trate mi cielo.
A Dios le pido.

Por los días que me quedan
y las noches que aun no llegan.
Yo a Dios le pido.
Por los hijos de mis hijos
y los hijos de tus hijos.
A Dios le pido.

Que mi pueblo no derrame tanta sangre
y se levante mi gente.
A Dios le pido.
Que mi alma no descanse
cuando de amarte se trate mi cielo.
A Dios le pido.

Un segundo mas de vida para darte
y mi corazón entero entregarte,
un segundo mas de vida para darte
y a tu lado para siempre yo quedarme,
un segundo mas de vida...
Yo a Dios le pido

Que si me muero sea de amor
y si me enamoro sea de vos
y que de tu voz sea este corazón.
Todos los días a Dios le pido.
Que si me muero sea de amor
y si me enamoro sea de vos
y que de tu voz sea este corazón.
Todos los días a Dios le pido,
A Dios le pido...

English:
Title: I Ask From God

My eyes to wake up
With the light of your glance
I ask from God
Not to die my mother
And my father to remember me
I ask from God

To stay beside me
And never leave from me, my life
I ask from God
My soul not to have a rest
When loving you it has to do with my sky
I ask from God

For the days that I have left
And the nights that still haven't come
I ask from God
For the kids of my kids
And the kids of your kids
I ask from God

My village not to spill so much blood
And to wake up my people
I ask from God
My soul not to have a rest
When loving you it has to do with my sky
I ask from God

One more second of life to give you
And my entire heart to give you
One more second of life to give you
And beside you to stay for ever
One more second of life
I ask from God

That if I die to be from love
And if I fall in love to be with you
And from your voice to be this heart
All the days I ask from God
That if I die to be from love
And if I fall in love to be with you
 and from your voice it be this heart
All the days I ask from God
 I ask from God

Translation By Rosangela Vazquez

So what I gather from this song and my own explanation and understanding of this song is Juanes
is asking god to protect his family and his loved ones, and if he falls in love he falls in love with her voice, in other words with her intellectual, or falling in love with a smart well grounded women. He wishes his country stop hurting each other and spilling so much blood. For his people to wake up and sort of educate them selves and start fighting for peace. Everyday he asks god, that if he dies is out of love. He doesn't want to go with resentment or hatred he just wants to die out of love.

Isn't this a beautiful song? For me is almost a form of prayer. Is a prayer transformed into music. My favorite line in the song is "Que mi madre no se muera y que mi padre me recuerde. A Dios le pido."
I like this line because I think is something we can all relate to. I don't think anyone wants their parents to die, or their mom to pass away, so everyday we ask god for our parents have one more day to live. In the part where he says "Y que mi padre me recuerde" (that my father remembers me) he is referring to the fact that his father died when he was a child, so he prays to god that he's dad who is in heaven remembers him still even though he is grown up. Powerful lyrics right? This is why I fell in love with his music, because his lyrics go so much deeper than any singer I've known.


No comments:

Post a Comment